Bellator Signs Heavyweight Sparks to Long-Term Deal

By Mike Whitman Dec 29, 2010
Bellator Fighting Championships has signed undefeated heavyweight Ron Sparks to an exclusive, long-term contract, the promotion announced Tuesday in a press release.

Though the release stated that “The Monster” would participate in the promotion’s upcoming fourth-season heavyweight tournament, Bellator officials today informed Sherdog.com that Sparks is not yet a guaranteed participant in the tourney.

The muscular, 265-pound Sparks holds five of his six career victories by first-round knockout, including a 50-second drubbing of previously unbeaten Greg Maynard in his September Bellator debut.

“I want to be like Mike Tyson was in the 1980s,” Sparks said in a statement. “I'm coming in there to knock you out, and that’s just the way I’m going to come. I’m coming in there to rip your head off. I want to catch them on the chin and be done with them.”

The 36-year-old knockout artist has his sights set high as he enters the Bellator heavyweight ranks. His ultimate goal is to capture the title currently held by Cole Konrad.

“When that bell rings and I come out, people are going to be like, ‘This guy is for real.’ When I come across that cage, I’m going to be throwing hell for a good 15 minutes,” said Sparks. “I want the Bellator heavyweight title, and I’ll be ready to go through hell to get it.”

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney also has high hopes for the Kentucky native.

“With his devastating knockout power, natural strength and athleticism, Ron Sparks is a guy who deserves to compete at the next level of competition,” said Rebney. “I’m glad to say he will be doing that under the Bellator banner.”
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Around The Web