More on WEC 53 - Henderson vs. Pettis
By: Chris Nelson
... Read More
By: Jeff Sherwood
George Sotiropoulos: Dave Mandel | Sherdog.com
With the recent merger of WEC into the UFC there are many opportunities for some great fights in the lightweight division. I’m no matchmaking extraordinaire like Joe Silva or Sean Shelby, but below are some fights that can’t miss.
We heard on AOL Fanhouse from UFC President Dana White that WEC featherweight tyrant Jose Aldo turned down a 155-pound bout with Kenny Florian, so we’ll assume that the Nova UniÃ£o product is content to rule the world at 145. If he were to change his mind for another challenge at lightweight, Nate Diaz is a sure bet for fireworks.
“The winner of Ben Henderson’s [Dec. 16 title defense against Anthony Pettis] will automatically face the winner of Frankie Edgar versus Gray Maynard,” said White during a UFC conference call.
That’s brilliant matchmaking at play, but I’d like to see the winner get a staunch test like George Sotiropoulos in their Octagon debut.
Here are more post-merger bouts that make sense:
... Read More
- Boxing: Andre Ward to Fight Sullivan Barrera on March 26
- IKF Overturns Ruling, Changes Lion Fight 27 Bout to Win for Bolanos
- Video: ‘Mayhem’ Miller Seems Confused About Venator FC Opponent
- Boxing Audio: Andre Ward & Sullivan Barrera Media Call
- Jamel Herring Dominates Luis Flores in PBC on FS1 Main Event