Jeff Curran's Blogs
Weekend Rundown: Riggs, Magalhaes, Curran Notch Wins
By: Brian Knapp
“The Ultimate Fighter” Season 8 light heavyweight finalist Vinny Magalhaes submitted Mike Nickels with an armbar in the featured bout at Ring of Fire 36 “Demolition” on Friday at the Magness Arena in Denver. Nickels waved the white flag 1:19 into round one.Read more
Magalhaes set up the submission with a standing combination, followed by a takedown into side control. Soon after, he trapped Nickels’ arm and left “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 3 veteran no choice but to ask out of the fight. The 27-year-old Magalhaes evened his record with the victory, his second in a row since a decision loss to Eliot Marshall at UFC 97.
Other winners at Ring of Fire 36 included Duane Ludwig, who struck fellow UFC castaway Ryan Roberts into submission in 2:05, and Anthony Morrison, who forced Alvin Robinson to tapout to strikes 69 seconds into their match. In addition, “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 semi-finalist Cameron Dollar submitted Kit Cope with a first-round rear-naked choke.
Back Against the Mat (BAM): UFC 101 and WEC 42 Edition
By: Jake Rossen
Because some fighters have more to lose than others.Read more
Anderson Silva: Back-to-back insomnia solutions ported Silva from professor to pariah overnight. If he finds a way to behave eccentrically against Forrest Griffin, the UFC is going to have to consider arming his next opponent.
Jeff Curran: The WEC featherweight has lost three straight bouts against stiff competition: if he can’t chamber a new career at 135 lbs. against Takeya Mizugaki, he’s probably due for the Phone Call.â„¢
- Showtime Boxing: Russell Jr. Wins, Stevenson-Jack Battle to Draw
- 'Ruthless' Romero Duno Defeats Gilberto 'Flaco' Gonzalez in Classic Philippines vs. Mexico Battle
- Four-Time World Champion Mares Rematches Featherweight World Champion Leo Santa Cruz Saturday, June 9 Live on Showtime
- Selby vs. Warrington Final Press Conference Quotes
- Richard ‘Popeye The Sailor Man’ Rivera to Headline ‘Fight Night at the Capital’