Ricardo Almeida's Blogs
Edgar, Almeida Offering Seminars for Haiti Charity
By: Lutfi Sariahmed
One man is preparing for a bout in front of a hometown crowd next month; another is preparing for the biggest bout of his career in Abu Dhabi. But both Ricardo Almeida and Frankie Edgar are taking time out of their schedules to lend a hand in the relief efforts for the Haiti earthquake.
Almeida and Edgar will be offering MMA seminars at Thomas Clifford's Martial Arts Center this Wednesday in Orangeburg, N.Y., with 100 percent of the proceeds going to the American Red Cross for victims of the January quake.
“When (Almeida) approached me about it I jumped to it right away,” Edgar told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show” on Monday. “Actually, a college teammate of mine -- his family is from Haiti and he's got some family over there that he was trying to get in contact with. That hit kind of close to home, so I was happy to be able to be part of this.”
Almeida meets Matt Brown at UFC 111 on March 27 in Newark, N.J. Edgar, Almeida’s training partner, will challenge B.J. Penn for the lightweight title at UFC 112 on April 10 in Abu Dhabi.
The seminar will be held from 6:30-9:30 p.m. EST. There will be a $25 required donation to watch the event and a $50 donation to participate. The gym will also be raffling off tickets to UFC 111 in March. Read more
Video: UFC 101 Post-Fight Press Conference
Video courtesy of UFC.comRead more
White: Fenway UFC; Second Oct. Show in Works; Sanchez Likely for Next Shot at Penn
By: Loretta Hunt
Boston’s famous Fenway Park is in the UFC’s sights, said UFC President Dana White at the post-fight press conference for UFC 101 early Sunday morning in Philadelphia. The state’s senate passed a bill on July 22 to regulate the sport, a first step that could see the Octagon makes its Massachusetts debut by next summer. White is a Boston native himself.Read more
Meanwhile, White also mentioned that the promotion has other potential deals in play and could add another event to its October calendar in addition to UFC 104, which is scheduled for Oct. 24 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
- Opinion: Dissolve the UFC Flyweight Division, a Modest Proposal
- Opinion: Pacquiao-Khan and a Possible Lure for Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Like Michael Carbajal, ‘Chocolatito’ is a Small Diamond Fitted for Big Ring
- The Indomitable Fight Inside Howard Davis Jr.
- Opinion: Alexander Gustafsson and the Dirk Nowitzki Parallels
- Premier Boxing Champions on Fox Sports 1 ‘Jackson vs. Uzcategui’ Results & Play-by-Play
- Boxing: Andre Dirrell Withdraws from Oct. 17 PBC Bout due to Medical Reasons
- Radio Poll: Who Should Daniel Cormier Fight Next?
- This Month’s MMA Birthdays: Rich Franklin Turns 41
- Video: Fighter Poops in Cage After Being Choked in West Virginia