Russow Stops Guida in Adrenaline Premiere

By Greg Savage and Dave Mandel Jun 15, 2008
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. -- Chicago police officer and Pride veteran Mike Russow put the clamps on Jason Guida (Pictures) on Saturday with a guillotine choke at 2:13 of the first round in Adrenaline MMA's first offering.

Before an estimated crowd of 2,500 at the Sears Center Arena, the two local fighters, backed by raucous partisans, traded shots before Russow took Guida to the mat with a single-leg takedown. Guida immediately made his way back to his feet but was quickly taken back to the mat. His next attempt to rise off the mat led to the fight-ending submission.

As Guida posted, Russow locked up a guillotine choke and began to squeeze, forcing Guida to tap out.

In other fights, Terry Martin (Pictures) landed right hand after right hand in his bout with Daiju Takase (Pictures). Unfortunately for Martin, Takase landed kick after kick to his groin. Midway through the second frame, referee Rob Hinds had seen enough and called the bout after Takase landed his third kick to Martin's groin. The stoppage came at 3:35 of the second round.

After being floored with a left hook, Forrest Petz (Pictures) seemed to be within seconds of having his bout with fellow UFC veteran Brian Gassaway (Pictures) stopped in the first round. However, utilizing his experience, Petz was able to shimmy and grapple to the end of the round. That perseverance paid off as Petz found himself on the winning end of a unanimous decision after taking the final two rounds on all three judges' scorecards. scored the bout 29-28 for Gassaway, giving him the first and second periods.

IFL veteran Bart Palaszewski (Pictures) looked as if he might be on his way to a fourth-straight defeat when Jeff Cox (Pictures) buckled him with a right cross. But Jeff Curran (Pictures)'s pupil survived the early knockdown to reach the second round. In the second, Palaszewski finished a combination with a right-round kick to the head and left Cox prone on the mat. Referee Herb Dean (Pictures) called a halt to the bout at 3:07 of the second frame.

With an almost 20-pound weight advantage, former IFL standout Rory Markham (Pictures) had an easy time with Jay Ellis (Pictures). After dodging Ellis' aerial attack to start the fight, Markham took control on the ground, locking up a weak triangle choke that forced the tap nonetheless at 1:57 of the opening round.

In other action:

Clay French (Pictures) def. Jameel Massouh (Pictures) by submission (rear-naked choke) 3:18 R2
Joe Jordan (Pictures) def. Ryan Williams (Pictures) by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Mike Stumpf (Pictures) def. Dom O'Grady by TKO (referee stoppage) 3:52 R2
Tom Belt (Pictures) def. Marcus Levesseur by TKO (referee stoppage) 4:10 R1
Herc Hayes def. Kerry Schall (Pictures) by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Aaron Rosa (Pictures) def. Ron Fields (Pictures) by TKO (referee stoppage) :34 R2
Hector Urbina (Pictures) def. Dave Kleczkowski by TKO (referee stoppage) 1:19 R2
Louis Taylor (Pictures) def. Adam Maciejewski (Pictures) by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
Joe Pearson (Pictures) def. John Hosman (Pictures) by submission (triangle choke) 1:42 R1
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>