WFA Update: Kimo Out of Rutten Fight … So is Sims

By Josh Gross Jul 21, 2006
After agreeing to take Kimo Leopoldo (Pictures)’s slot against Bas Rutten (Pictures), Wes Sims (Pictures) has instead decided to honor his July 28 WEC commitment, Mark Coleman (Pictures) told Sherdog.com late Thursday, leaving the World Fighting Alliance again scrambling to find a suitable replacement for Saturday.

The WFA issued a statement Thursday evening regarding Leopoldo’s removal from the pay-per-view contest against Rutten.

In the three-paragraph release, WFA CEO Jeremy Lappen indicated that the California State Athletic Commission informed the WFA that Leopoldo "tested positive for a banned substance and therefore is not eligible" to compete July 22 at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif.

Two days from his first professional fight since 1999, Rutten was relaxing at home when he got the call that Leopoldo had been forced off Saturday’s card after allegedly testing positive for Stanozolol, a banned synthetic anabolic steroid derived from testosterone.

As of Thursday evening, California State Athletic Commission Chief Armando Garcia could not comment on the allegations. This is not the first time Leopoldo, famous for his clash with Royce Gracie (Pictures) at UFC III, has failed a urinalysis.

Following a June 2004 UFC contest in which Leopoldo was knocked out by Ken Shamrock (Pictures), the Hawaiian was suspended six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and fined $5,000 for having Stanozolol, more commonly known as Winstrol — a popular steroid among bodybuilders for its weight-cutting benefits — as well as other drugs in his system.

“Every guy who uses steroids to fight is a fucking pussy,” said an exasperated Rutten. “For him to do this shit after all the promotion he did, all the shit he talked about me — taking me out in minutes and all that bullshit — apparently that was the steroids talking, right?”

“It’s another thing for me,” he laughed. “Another challenge.”

"The WFA is a fighter-first organization, so Kimo’s disqualification is a disappointment for our entire family of fighters," Lappen said in the E-mailed statement. "But the positive test is a reminder that the WFA and mixed martial arts is a professional sport, governed by the same rules as other major sports leagues.

"This situation, while disappointing, validates the steps we are taking as an organization and a sport to ensure the integrity of competition. We are currently working to secure another qualified opponent for Bas so he can make his historic return to competitive mixed martial arts on Saturday night. An announcement on the bout will be forthcoming.”

Pele Out, Kampmann In

In a totally unrelated set of circumstances, the WFA on Wednesday learned that Jose Landi-Jons (Pictures) would not be able to compete against Edwin Aguilar (Pictures). Though the reason for Pele’s absence remains unclear, Danish striker Martin Kampmann has been signed to fill the hole left by the veteran Brazilian.
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Around The Web