27-Time Octagon Veteran Frank Mir Says He’s Requested Release from UFC

By Tristen Critchfield Jul 5, 2016


One of the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s longest-tenured company men wants to part ways with the promotion.

Former heavyweight champion Frank Mir revealed during an interview on "The MMA Hour” on Tuesday that he has requested his release from the UFC. All but two of Mir’s 29 career bouts have taken place inside the Octagon.

"As of now I'm under suspension, as of April 2018 I'll be eligible to fight again the UFC, and even more, as troubling as that is, they have it to where I can't do any broadcasting," Mir said. "Not that I was ever going to get it in there, just because I've been asking for several years since the WEC since put this in the rotation, right now I'd like to be released by the UFC so I can continue my career in other avenues.”

The 37-year-old Mir last competed at UFC Fight Night in Brisbane, Australia, where he suffered a first-round knockout loss to Mark Hunt on March 19. After the bout, Mir was informed of a potential anti-doping violation, which he immediately denied. Later, Mir revealed that his ‘B’ sample was retested and also came back positive for oral turinabol metabolites, which are generally classified as anabolic steroids. The heavyweight denied taking the drug and even speculated that the result occurred because of tainted kangaroo meat eaten while in Australia.

As a result of that test, Mir received a a two-year suspensions from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. The Las Vegas resident revealed on “The MMA Hour” that he decided to bypass the appeal process due to potential expenses.

It doesn’t sound as though Mir is interested in competing for another promotion once his suspension ends. Instead, he hopes to resume his broadcast career elsewhere. He served as an studio analyst for UFC on Fox before the punishment was imposed and also previously worked for the now-defunct World Extreme Cagefighting promotion.

"After I realized three weeks ago the situation in its entirety, and looked at my savings account and what my kids cost to raise, I realized I have to go make a living," Mir said.

Mir has compiled a 16-11 record during his UFC tenure, earning wins over the likes of Antonio Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Roy Nelson, Mirko Filipovic, Brock Lesnar and Tim Sylvia over the course of his career. The submission specialist has lost six of his last eight fights.

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>