After Jon Jones Ruling, Daniel Cormier Tells USADA ‘Don’t Come to My House Anymore’

By Tristen Critchfield Sep 19, 2018


In his analyst’s chair on “UFC Tonight,” Daniel Cormier did his best to be as professional as possible. But it was clear the two-division champion was not happy about the USADA ruling in the case of Jon Jones.

“I’m the UFC double champion,” Cormier said on the show. “I have bosses in the back and I’m talking about this guy because I have to. I’ve moved past that guy. I went about my business. I went and won another title. Now this suspension is up, so we’ll see what happens.”

On Wednesday, USADA announced that an independent arbitrator had determined that Jones would receive a 15-month suspension for a failed drug test at UFC 214. “Bones” tested positive for the anabolic steroid Turinabol following a third-round stoppage of Cormier in a 205-pound title bout at the July 29, 2017 event. The gist of the ruling is that USADA and the independent arbitrator don’t believe Jones intentionally took a banned substance, despite the fact that he previously failed a drug test in relation to UFC 200.

“Here’s the deal: When it comes to USADA, they can’t come to my house anymore at 6 a.m,” Cormier said. “What’s the point? They’ve been to my house 15 times. USADA, don’t come to my house anymore. You don’t need too. You don’t need to come. I’m not going to fail a test, I’m not going to make any mistakes, I’m not going to have to sit up there and go, ‘I’m serious this time, guys. I promise I wasn’t really trying to cheat.’ It’s never going to happen with me. 70 times. 70 times since I started wrestling internationally and I’ve never made a mistake. It’s not that hard. So even to be sitting here and doing this again shows — you guys are ridiculous.”

Jones’ suspension will be over on Oct. 28, meaning he could compete as soon as UFC 230 on Nov. 3. While Jones’ UFC 214 win over Cormier was changed to a no contest following the failed drug test, the Jackson-Wink MMA product also defeated Cormier via unanimous decision at UFC 182.

“DC” has stated that he plans to fight twice before retiring from the sport in March — and one of those bouts would be a light heavyweight title defense. However, he dismissed the possibility of a trilogy with Jones because of his looming heavyweight championship clash with Brock Lesnar.

“I think people get excited, people get excited about the prospect of us fighting again, but I’ve got a fight with Brock Lesnar. Why would I look back? Why would I look back to Jones now when I’ve got a fight? Obviously as a competitor I want to fight the guy whose beat me twice, but I’ve got a fight. Why go back? I’ve got a bigger fight with Brock Lesnar, why should I go back?”

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>