Anderson Silva Won’t Retire Even With 4-Year USADA Ban, Still Hoping for Roy Jones Jr. Bout

By Tristen Critchfield Feb 20, 2018

Facing a four-year USADA suspension as a second-time anti-doping offender, Anderson Silva is still denying taking any performance enhancing drugs.

“The Spider” was removed from UFC Fight Night 122 in November after reportedly being flagged for methyltestosterone — a synthetic anabolic steroid — and an unnamed diuretic. The former middleweight champion is blaming the positive test on a tainted supplement.

“Maybe the supplements I used are contaminated, I don’t know,” Silva told TMZ Sports. “I’m just waiting. Obviously, if I take these steroids I’m stupid because I’m too old. I’m not starting my career, I’m finishing.”

Silva previously failed a drug test at UFC 183 in 2015, testing positive for the steroids drostanolone and androsterone. The Brazilian blamed the failed test on a sexual enhancement pill but was suspended one year by the Nevada Athletic Commission.

Clearly, Silva is hoping that he won’t face the maximum penalty this time around because he has designs on facing retired boxing star Roy Jones Jr. Jones recently had his farewell bout on UFC Fight Pass but said he would consider a return for a chance to fight Silva.

“I’m just waiting for USADA and my lawyers, and hopefully it comes back soon for Roy Jones,” Silva said.

Even if things don’t work out and Silva is slapped with a four-year suspension, he doesn’t plan on calling it a career. Silva, who will turn 43 years old on April 14, last competed at UFC 208, taking a contentious decision win over Derek Brunson in February 2017.

“No of course not [I wouldn’t retire] I go fight for Roy Jones. I’m waiting for Mr. Roy,” Silva said. “That’s my dream and hopefully this fight comes.”


Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Write For Us