Vitor Belfort file photo: Dave Mandel | Sherdog.com
Vitor Belfort will return in November, but he will not be fighting fellow middleweight contender Chael Sonnen, the Brazilian told Sherdog.com on Monday.
“I talked to Lorenzo (Fertitta) this week and will return in November,” Belfort said. “I just asked him to not be (on the November card in Germany). I'm tired of traveling. I would like to return to fighting here in America. According to my conversation with Lorenzo, my opponent will not be Sonnen, but another guy that will be decided soon.”
Belfort had been scheduled to challenge middleweight champion Anderson Silva in April at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi. However, Belfort had to withdraw and have surgery on his shoulder. Silva went on to defend successfully against Demian Maia at the event and then again Aug. 7 against Chael Sonnen.
There had been some expectation that a returning Belfort would meet Sonnen next since the wrestler had nearly knocked off Silva, who is injured and will likely not fight again in 2010.
Whomever Belfort is fighting, training camp begins this week at Xtreme Couture. The former UFC light heavyweight champion, who began physical therapy shortly after his Feb. 10 surgery, just moved to Las Vegas this week with his wife, son and two daughters.
“With the help of Shawn Tompkins, Ray Sefo and all the partners here, I hope to reach my best shape soon,” he said. “I am eager to return to my training routine as well as very happy here.”