Boxing News: ‘Canelo’ Alvarez Sidelined with Ankle Injury, Likely to Fight May 2

By C.J. Tuttle Oct 7, 2014
Saul Alvarez will not compete on Dec. 6 after all. | Photo: Mike Sloan/

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, who signed with HBO on Sept. 29, will not be fighting against Joshua Clottey on Dec. 6 as was originally believed.

Alvarez will be sidelined for about six weeks due to a persistent left ankle injury, Golden Boy Promotions announced Monday.

The 24-year-old Mexican star, who had been signed to Showtime since gaining worldwide notoriety, was supposed to compete Dec. 6 against Clottey at Minute Maid Park in Houston. The bout was to be broadcast on HBO, a significant part of the agreement given that Alvarez’s past three fights took place on pay-per-view.

According to an report, Oscar De La Hoya said Alvarez’s ankle had been giving him problems since he fought Alfredo Angulo in March. Alvarez’s ankle acted up again this past week during a six-mile training run. The ankle reportedly hurt so badly and was so swollen that it required Alvarez to stop in the middle of the workout.

With Alvarez likely done for 2014, De La Hoya believes his fighter’s his next outing will be May 2.

“Going right to a Cotto fight is a big possibility,” De La Hoya told “I will be talking to Canelo and his management team in the next couple of days to see what they want to pursue. This is a minor setback. I am more than positive Canelo will have the opportunity to fight live on HBO, even if it’s not next. But I hear in Canelo’s voice the enthusiasm about fighting on Cinco de Mayo weekend.”


Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>