Canelo Alvarez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Official for May 6 in Las Vegas

By Mike Sloan Jan 13, 2017
One of the most popular fighters in all of boxing today will return to action as Saul “Canelo” Alvarez finally has an opponent for his already-scheduled May 6 date in Las Vegas. Unfortunately for fight fans across the globe, his opponent will not be Gennady Golovkin.

Golden Boy Promotions announced late Friday morning that “Canelo” will take on fellow Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at a venue to be determined, though the rumors are that T-Mobile Arena will be the host property. The bout will headline an HBO Pay-Per-View event to coincide with Cinco de Mayo weekend and though it’s not the fight boxing fans have coveted, it’s one that will surely be a boon for what is historically one of the best fight weekends of the year in Sin City.

Since losing to future Hall of Famer Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2013, Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) has won six straight. Last year he knocked out Amir Khan in spectacular fashion in what was the first-ever fight event held inside the new T-Mobile Arena in May and then followed that performance up with a clubbing stoppage of Liam Smith down in Dallas last September. His sights are now focused on his fellow countryman Chavez.

"I'm excited to announce my fight against Julio César Chávez, Jr. and confirm that I will be prepared, like I've been throughout my career, to give a great fight,” Alvarez said. “I want to remind you that when two Mexican fighters face-off, a spectacular show is guaranteed, and I can assure you that May 6 will be no exception especially during the Cinco de Mayo festivities. Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence Day in September are important dates for us Mexicans, and I'm expecting a great night for boxing and the whole world.”

Chavez Jr., meanwhile, was once considered to have a great chance to follow in his legendary father’s footsteps. But issues making weight and failing post-fight urinalyses, coupled with lackluster performances in losses to Sergio Martinez and Andrzej Fonfara, have diminished Junior’s star power the last few years. However, says that he’s focused and believes he’ll have his hand raised in victory.

“I dedicate this fight to Mexico,” said Chavez (50-2-1, 32 KOs). “I'm going to win, but my country will too because this is the fight that boxing needs.”

A full undercard will be announced in the coming weeks.

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>