Floyd Mayweather Jr. officially ended his retirement this past weekend to set his sights on Conor McGregor. That much is certain.
Depending on the source, that superfight is either imminent or still a distant speck on the horizon. According to a recent report from FloCombat.com, the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas put June 10 on hold for a potential boxing match between Mayweather and McGregor. That date would seem to align with the recent statement from Mayweather, who challenged the UFC lightweight champion to a fight in June.
“I don’t want to hear no more excuses about the money, about the UFC,” Mayweather said. “Sign the paper with the UFC so you can fight me in June. Simple and plain, let’s fight in June.”
While the June 10 reservation of the T-Mobile Arena doesn’t guarantee a Mayweather-McGregor showdown by any means, it would seem to be a positive step in that direction. However, UFC President Dana White shot down the report that the fight was closer to becoming a reality.
White, who claimed to have offered Mayweather and McGregor $25 million apiece earlier this year, told TMZ Sports that the bout is “nowhere near being done” and that “there is no target date whatsoever.”
McGregor hasn’t fought since winning the lightweight title with a second-round knockout of Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 this past November. Mayweather, meanwhile, initially retired from boxing following a unanimous decision triumph against Andre Berto in September 2015.