Conor McGregor could be on the fast track to featherweight gold. | Ryan O’Leary/Sherdog.com
Although Conor McGregor currently sits outside of the top five ranked featherweights in the UFCC, the Irishman has no desire to methodically climb the ladder to a title shot.
As previously reported by Sherdog.com, McGregor already has plans to make short work of Dustin Poirier at UFC 178 and stated that he would be ready to step in on short notice should either Jose Aldo or Chad Mendes suffer an injury before their featherweight title clash at UFC 179 on Oct. 25.
McGregor recently reiterated that very point -- along with some new information.
“You’re damn right I’m ready,” McGregor said when reminded of his previous statements. “I stay ready. I don’t stop. This is what I love to do.”
The UFC must have heard the 26-year-old loud and clear, as McGregor revealed his plans following what he expects will be a stoppage in his favor on Saturday night.
“I’m actually flying out to Brazil [for UFC 179],” McGregor said. “Not only will I fly out, I’ll jump in that Octagon if need be and call the champion out.”
As for preference in opponent, McGregor couldn’t care less who comes out on top as long as he’s next in line. It certainly presents an interesting scenario, considering that Cub Swanson has long been considered to be the frontrunner for a title shot. The Palm Springs, Calif., native is currently riding a white hot six-fight winning streak and is No. 2 in the official UFC rankings. Swanson has been waiting patiently for his crack at the belt, but it appears that McGregor is planning to leapfrog over the former WEC fighter.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out should McGregor impressively dispatch of Poirier, which is no guarantee. Nevertheless, the SBG Ireland fighter already has plans to fast track his way to a title shot.
“I might stick a few banana peels around the cage and see who falls,” McGregor said with a smirk and a shrug.