Conor McGregor on $150K NAC Fine: ‘Good Luck Trying to Get It’

By Tristen Critchfield Oct 14, 2016


No surprise here, but Conor McGregor isn’t happy with the Nevada Athletic Commission.

In his first interview since receiving a $150,000 fine from the NAC for a bottle-throwing incident at a press conference prior to UFC 202, McGregor confirmed that he doesn’t have much interest in competing in Nevada any time soon.

"I don't see Nevada in my future, for the foreseeable future is how I see it," McGregor told Rolling Stone. "I'm free to do what I want. … I'm good. I'm good. New York, New York. That's what I think.”

McGregor’s statement confirms what Dana White said earlier this week, when the UFC president claimed that the Irishman contacted him voicing his displeasure with the NAC. White himself called the punishment levied against McGregor “terrible” and insane.” McGregor is currently scheduled to vie for the lightweight title against Eddie Alvarez in the UFC 205 headliner at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12.

The reigning UFC featherweight champion was punished for throwing water bottles and a Monster energy drink can at Diaz and his team in the middle of a pre-fight press conference on Aug. 17. An MGM Grand security guard was reportedly injured as both sides threw objects at each other. McGregor called in to apologize for his actions during an NAC hearing on Monday.

However, it sounds as though he might not readily hand over the fine, which represents five percent of his $3 million disclosed pursue for his majority decision victory over Diaz.

"I thought they might respect [me calling in to apologize] a little bit more," McGregor said. "I owned up. I man'd up. I'm here. I apologized. I'm not trying to blame nobody, although they fired the rounds off first. I didn't think they would even go that route because I didn't think this was like a real thing. Are they going to come and arrest me or what the fuck is that? I wanted to give them the respect and I felt they would have respected that but they didn't. So, whatever. It is what it is. Good luck trying to get it.”

Diaz’s disciplinary hearing has been postponed to a later date. The Stockton, Calif., native earned a disclosed $2 million at the event, but given the precedent that has already been set, he could be in line for a hefty penalty as well.

"I do not wish to see Nate get any more or any less than me," McGregor said. "I don't want to see either of us have something like this happen. But we'll see. I don't know. If they went that way on me I don't know what way they're going to go on him. He threw the bottle first, but I don't wish he get more than me or anything like that. I just wish we'd get it sorted out and get on with it and carry on.”

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>