Dana White on Jose Aldo-Anthony Pettis: ‘Sounds Like We’ve Got a Fight’

By Mike Whitman Feb 1, 2014
Jose Aldo is looking to add another belt to his collection. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com



It appears that UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo will vie for a second title when next he enters the Octagon.

Following his one-sided unanimous decision victory over Ricardo Lamas at UFC 169 on Saturday night, Aldo told media that he would accept a lightweight title bid against Anthony Pettis, should UFC President Dana White condone such a meeting.

“It’s not about me. I’m ready. I’ve always been ready. If the fight was tonight, I would fight him. It’s up to the UFC and Dana,” said Aldo. “I want the fight. The fans want the fight. Anthony Pettis wants the fight, so why not? We are ready to fight, so let’s get this fight.”

With Aldo making his feelings known, White did not mince words when asked for his perspective on “Scarface” moving up to challenge the champion at 155 pounds.

“Sounds like we’ve got a fight,” White said. “I’ve been talking about that fight. I like Jose at 155 [pounds]. The weight cut is much easier for him. But again, he’s the king at 145. If he wants to move to 155, I think it’s a huge fight with Pettis.”

Aldo and Pettis were initially expected to square off last year, though in that instance Pettis would have cut to 145 pounds for a crack at Aldo’s title. Instead, Pettis was forced to withdraw from the bout due to injury and later captured the lightweight belt by submitting Benson Henderson at UFC 164.

Aldo has known only victory for the past eight years, scoring eight wins under the World Extreme Cagefighting banner and another six as UFC champion.

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Around The Web