Gegard Mousasi is reuniting with Scott Coker.
“The Dreamcatcher” has exited free agency, signing a six-fight deal with Bellator MMA. The news was first reported on Monday by MMAJunkie's Chamatkar Sandhu, then confirmed by Mousasi himself on “The MMA Hour” with Ariel Helwani.
“I’m looking forward to be champion there,” Mousasi told Helwani. “If I achieve that, I look forward to going a division up and getting the 205 belt. But first the middleweight belt. That’s my goal.” Mousasi previously spent three and a half years under the promotion of Bellator CEO Coker. The 31-year-old debuted for Strikeforce in August 2009, winning the company's light heavyweight title with a devastating 60-second knockout of “Babalu” Renato Sobral. Though he lost the Strikeforce title to Muhammad Lawal eight months later, the Iranian-born Dutchman remained with Strikeforce until its final event in January 2013.
Following the sale of Strikeforce, Mousasi migrated to the Ultimate Fighting Championship, going 9-3 in his four-year Octagon tenure. Since his shocking highlight-reel loss to Uriah Hall in September 2015, Mousasi has gone 5-0 with four stoppages, including a return win over Hall and more recently, a controversial second-round stoppage of former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman at UFC 210 in April.
Entering UFC 210 on the last fight of his contract, Mousasi was outspoken in his critique of the UFC's promotion and pay scale.
“I just see that Vitor Belfort is making tons more money than me,” Mousasi told Damon Martin's Fight Society Podcast. I defeated Dan Henderson, he’s making tons more money than me. I defeated Mark Hunt. He’s making $800,000 a fight. I can beat Michael Bisping and even before he was champion he was making a lot more than me. Why don’t I deserve to make some money? ... How is it possible Mark Hunt is making $800,000 with a record of 10-10? He has a record of 10 wins, 10 losses. Look at my record. How the [expletive] is that possible?”
An opponent or date for Mousasi's Bellator MMA have not been announced.