Kevin Lee Choke Prompts Premature Stoppage on Michael Chiesa in UFN 112 Main Event

By Brian Knapp Jun 25, 2017

Michael Chiesa did not see eye to eye with referee Mario Yamasaki.

Kevin Lee was awarded a first-round submission after sinking a rear-naked choke on “The Ultimate Fighter 15” winner in the UFC Fight Night 112 headliner on Sunday at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. Yamasaki called for the stoppage 4:37 into Round 1. Chiesa (14-3) did not tap and did not lose consciousness, and he protested the decision immediately.

The controversial conclusion notwithstanding, Lee (16-2) appeared to be headed for a clean victory. The Xtreme Couture representative struck for a takedown inside the first 90 seconds, advanced to the back and secured his position with a body triangle before applying heavy ground-and-pound. Lee cinched the choke after an extended struggle, resulting in the finish.

Afterward, both men seemed open to a rematch.

Related » UFC OKC Round-by-Round Scoring

Boetsch Head Kick, Punches Stop Hendricks

The well-traveled Tim Boetsch disposed of former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks with a second-round head kick and follow-up punches in a co-main event at a 188-pound catchweight. Hendricks (18-7) packed his bags 46 seconds into Round 2.

Boetsch (21-11) kept the four-time NCAA All-American wrestler at bay with kicks to the body, legs and face throughout the first round. Hendricks, who missed weight by two pounds, fired his straight left liberally and narrowly missed on more than one occasion. Early in the second round, Boetsch staggered “Bigg Rigg” with a head kick and flurried with power punches, a series of unanswered right uppercuts bringing it to a close.

Herrig Hands Kish First Loss

Team Curran mainstay Felice Herrig knocked Justine Kish from the ranks of the unbeaten, as she picked up a unanimous decision in a featured three-round battle at 115 pounds. All three cageside judges scored it for Herrig (13-6): 30-26, 30-26 and 29-27.

Kish (6-1) was on the defensive for much of the fight. Herrig executed takedowns in all three rounds, achieved full mount on multiple occasions and advanced to the back when the opportunity arose. She did her best work in the third round, where she took down Kish inside the first 30 seconds and caught a standing rear-naked choke when the Resurrection Fighting Alliance veteran escaped to her feet. A lesser woman would have tapped. The unyielding Kish survived the choke but lacked the energy she needed to author a comeback.

Herrig, 32, has rattled off three straight victories.

Newcomer Reyes Blows Away Christensen

Dominick Reyes showed off the skills and killer instinct that have made him one of the sport’s top prospects, as he dispatched Joachim Christensen with punches in the first round of their featured light heavyweight affair. Christensen (14-6) bowed out 29 seconds into Round 1.

Reyes (7-0) had the Dane ducking for cover after he connected with a straight left and follow-up punches. He then reset and split Christensen’s defenses with another straight left that dropped him to his back. Reyes closed the deal with a quick burst of standing-to-ground punches.

The 27-year-old Reyes has finished six of his first seven opponents inside one round, four of them in less than a minute.

Means Decisions Tristar’s Garcia

Former two-division King of the Cage champion Tim Means overcame a slow start to register a unanimous decision over Alex Garcia in a three-round welterweight feature. Means (27-8-1) swept the scorecards with matching 29-28 marks from the judges.

Variety was a key for Means. The lanky 33-year-old operated behind a stinging jab and leg kicks while targeting the body and head with penetrating left hands. Garcia (14-4) grew more and more one-dimensional as the fight progressed, focusing almost exclusively on the head with punches. Facing a decided height and reach disadvantage, the approach did not yield much fruit.

Related » UFC Fight Night 112 Prelims: Guida Bullies Koch to Clear-Cut Decision

Siver Outguns Reeling Penn

Dennis Siver won for the first time in nearly three years, as he notched a majority decision over form two-division champion B.J. Penn in a three-round featherweight showcase. Scores were 28-28, 29-28 and 29-27.

Penn (16-12-2) showed flashes of past brilliance but not enough to make a difference. Siver controlled vast stretches of the action with his kicks -- he attacked the legs, body and head with equal aplomb -- and integrated power punches later in the fight. Penn floored him with a right uppercut in the second round, jumped into top position and passed guard to side control. Despite spending an extended period of time there, he never moved toward a submission.

Siver (23-11) routed the Hawaiian over the final five minutes, battering his lead legs with kicks before turning his attention upstairs with slashing hooks. Penn’s offense was virtually non-existent in the third round, the disappearing act dooming him to a fifth straight defeat.


Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Write For Us