Kimbo Slice-Ken Shamrock to Headline Bellator ‘Unfinished Business’ on June 20

By Tristen Critchfield Feb 26, 2015
Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock are going to try this one more time. | Dave Mandel/

It’s a matchup more than six years in the making.

Bellator MMA officials announced on Thursday that a heavyweight fight between Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson and Ken Shamrock will headline a June 20 card held by the promotion in St. Louis. The event, entitled "Unfinished Business," will take place at Scottrade Center and airs live on Spike TV.

Slice and Shamrock were initially slated to lock horns at EliteXC “Heat” on Oct. 4, 2008, but Shamrock withdrew on the day of the bout due to an accidental cut suffered during warm-ups. Slice was then finished in 14 seconds by last-minute replacement Seth Petruzelli.

"I remember how excited I was when this fight was originally announced, and how disappointed I was when it didn't come to fruition at that time," Bellator President Scott Coker said in a release. "I'm very happy we were able to put this one together because I know these guys still have a lot of unfinished business to take care of, and when they do, it will be something special."

Slice, now 41 years old, would only compete twice more after that defeat, taking a unanimous decision from Houston Alexander at “The Ultimate Fighter 10” finale before suffering a second-round technical knockout loss to Matt Mitrione at UFC 113. Slice has dabbled in professional boxing in the interim, compiling a 7-0 professional record.

“Ken [Shamrock], I owe you this ass whooping,” Slice said. “No more running! No more hiding!”

The 51-year-old Shamrock, meanwhile, has not fought since Nov. 25, 2010, when he suffered a first-round TKO loss to Mike Bourke at King of the Cage “Platinum.” Earlier this year, the UFC Hall of Famer revealed his intentions to compete in a bare-knuckle boxing match against James Quinn McDonagh in April. Shamrock posted on Twitter Thursday that his bare-knuckle plans have only been postponed, not canceled. confirmed with a Bellator official that Shamrock has signed a multi-bout contract with the promotion

"I am back," Shamrock said. "It's good to be performing again for my fans. I feel great, and my health is great. Age should never be a factor if an athlete is healthy, in great shape, and has the drive to continue their sport. I will quit fighting when I want to."


Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>