Mark Hunt Walk-off KO on Frank Mir Caps Quick UFC Fight Night Main Event in Australia

By Brian Knapp Mar 19, 2016

The crushing power of Mark Hunt claimed yet another victim.

Hunt knocked out former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight titleholder Frank Mir with a clean right hand in the first round of the UFC Fight Night “Hunt vs. Mir” headliner on Saturday at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Brisbane, Australia. Hunt (12-10-1, 7-4-1 UFC) took one look at his fallen adversary, gave a shake of the head and walked away, leaving referee Marc Goddard to do the rest. It ended 3:01 into round one.

Mir (18-11, 16-11 UFC) tried and failed to steer clear of danger. Hunt, who turns 42 on Wednesday, set up the knockout punch with two flicking jabs and then sent the Las Vegas native to the canvas with a concussive shot behind the ear that would have cut down King Kong. The 2001 K-1 World Grand Prix winner has won back-to-back bouts, both of them in the first round.

Related » UFC Fight Night Brisbane Round-by-Round Scoring

Magny Weathers, Stops Lombard

“The Ultimate Fighter” Season 16 semifinalist Neil Magny withstood a furious assault to put away former Bellator MMA champion Hector Lombard with third-round punches in the welterweight co-main event. Lombard (34-5-1, 3-3 UFC) succumbed to blows 46 seconds into round three, as he was finished for the first time in his 12-year career.

Magny (18-4, 11-3 UFC) had to earn it. Lombard stunned the Elevation Fight Team rep with an uppercut in the first round and followed up with a hellacious amount of punishment with punches, elbows and forearm strikes. Magny endured, and by the time the first five minutes had concluded, Lombard was on fumes. Lombard floored the Colorado-based welterweight with a straight left in the second round but surrendered his position on a failed foot lock attempt. Magny moved to mount, caught a triangle choke and then advanced to mount a second time. Lombard rolled to his stomach out of desperation, only to be flattened out. Magny cut loose with more than 40 unanswered punches, but referee Steve Perceval elected not to stop it.

Lombard had nothing left for round three. Magny executed a takedown inside the first minute, climbed to mount without resistance and closed out the American Top Team mainstay with punches.

Matthews Choke Submits Case

Jake Matthews submitted Power MMA Team export Johnny Case with a third-round rear-naked choke in a clash between two of the UFC’s most promising young lightweights. Case (22-5, 4-1 UFC) tapped 4:45 into round three, bringing an end to his 12-fight winning streak.

Matthews (10-1, 4-1 UFC) altered the complexion of the fight with sublime body work in the second and third rounds. He chipped away at Case with kicks to the midsection, doubling over and forcing the 26-year-old to retreat on more than one occasion. Matthews resumed his attack with winging punches in the third round, sprawled out of a Case takedown and climbed to the back. His first rear-naked choke attempt failed -- a desperate Case grabbed the fence for leverage without penalty or warning -- but the Australian prospect advanced to mount, his situation improving by the second. Case then yielded his back a second time, allowing Matthew to slip the choke in place for the finish.

Kelly Upsets Blue-Chip Prospect Carlos Jr.

Four-time Olympian Daniel Kelly disposed of American Top Team’s Antonio Carlos Jr. with third-round ground-and-pound in their middleweight attraction. A heavy underdog, Kelly (11-1, 4-1 UFC) closed the deal 96 seconds into round three.

Carlos (5-2, 2-2 UFC) was pointed in the right direction after a lopsided first round, where he secured a quick takedown, moved to the Australian judoka’s back and clamped down on a body triangle. Kelly spent virtually the entire round absorbing ground-and-pound and defending submissions, first a rear-naked choke and then an armbar. Carlos lost his way in round two, however, as he ate a handful of clubbing straight lefts and saw his pace slow to a crawl.

Perhaps sensing the Brazilian was vulnerable, Kelly made his move early in the third round. There, he staggered and cut Carlos with a kick to the face, pancaked his takedown attempt with a sprawl, wheeled to the back and eventually settled in top position. The punches did not stop until referee Greg Kleynjans stepped in to wave it off.

Bosse One-Punch KOs Te Huna

Former hockey enforcer Steve Bosse knocked out James Te Huna in the first round of their featured battle at 205 pounds. An unconscious Te Huna (16-9, 5-5 UFC) hit the mat 52 seconds into round one, as the Cage Fighting Championship titleholder suffered his fourth consecutive loss.

Bosse (11-2, 1-1 UFC) picked his spot and made it count. The Canadian nuked Te Huna with a short right hook that dropped him where he stood and prompted referee Marc Goddard to act to prevent further damage. Bosse, 34, has won 10 of his last 11 fights.

Related » UFC Fight Night Prelims: Jouban Buries O’Reilly

‘Rowdy’ Rawlings Upends Ham

“The Ultimate Fighter” Season 20 graduate Bec Rawlings registered her second straight victory with a unanimous decision over Seo Hee Ham in a competitive three-round women’s strawweight showcase. All three cageside judges sided with Rawlings (7-4, 2-1 UFC): 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28.

Ham (16-7, 1-2 UFC) seemed to land more often -- her quick hands resulted in straight punching combinations and effective counters, especially early -- but the Australian connected with more authority. Rawlings turned the tide in the second round, where she executed a takedown behind a right hand, advanced to the back and threaded both hooks before fishing for the rear-naked choke. Ham escaped but not before valuable time and momentum had been lost.

Rawlings wandered into a loose triangle choke in the third round, freed herself and then trapped the South Korean in a frustrating clinch. She pinned Ham to the fence, landing sporadic punches and knees until the bell.


Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>