Mousasi Leaves M-1 Global

By Loretta Hunt Feb 12, 2010
Gegard Mousasi has left his management team with M-1 Global, the fighter told Sherdog.com via e-mail on Friday. M-1 Global also confirmed on Friday that the fighter and organization would no longer be working together.

“After careful consideration, I have decided that it is in my best interest to part ways with M-1 Global,” Mousasi wrote in the e-mail. “During the time I spent under their wing, M-1 Global, as a promoter and management company, allowed me to achieve many great things. I appreciate all they have done for me.”

M-1 Global, based out of Holland and Russia, had guided the Armenian-Dutch fighter’s career to two championship titles in the last few years.

The company also represents Fedor Emelianenko, the world’s No. 1-ranked heavyweight, who has publicly stated that he has an ownership stake in the organization, as well.

“The business relationship with M-1 Global is over,” said company representative Apy Echteld. “It was a business decision, but not a personal one and there are no hard feelings.”

Echteld said he would continue to work with Mousasi apart from M-1, although Echteld will be staying with the organization. Echteld added that Emelianenko had expressed his hopes to train with Mousasi again in the future.

In addition to its own M-1 Challenge and M-1 Selection events, M-1 Global entered into a co-promotional agreement with Strikeforce in August. The two groups held their first joint event on Nov. 7 at the Sears Centre Arena outside of Chicago. Emelianenko and Mousasi both won bouts on the main card, which was broadcast live on CBS to four million viewers. Strikeforce and M-1 Global could hold their next joint event in April. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker had previously stated that Mousasi might defend his 205-pound title against former world-ranked wrestler Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal in April.

Mousasi, who won the Strikeforce light heavyweight title in August, said he has a fight contract directly with the U.S.-based promotion and will continue to compete for it. Mousasi said he also still plans to enter the first round of Dream’s light heavyweight grand prix, rumored to begin this May in Japan.

The 24-year-old fighter said he has already obtained new representation but would not identify them.

“My management is being taken care of by someone close to me,” he wrote.

Mousasi recently returned to his native Holland following a two-week trip to the U.S. to train with UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. He said he would like to come back to the states to train with Strikeforce lightweight contender Josh Thomson and his American Kickboxing Academy team in San Jose, Calif., after he hit it off with Thomson in Miami, Fla., for Strikeforce’s Jan. 30 event at the BankAtlantic Center. A return date has not been scheduled yet.
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Around The Web