Wanderlei Silva’s disciplinary hearing has been postponed. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com
Resolution to the Wanderlei Silva saga will have to wait.
Silva was expected to be present for a disciplinary hearing during Thursday’s Nevada Athletic Commission meeting. However, at the beginning of the meeting it was revealed that Silva’s team has filed a motion to dismiss the disciplinary action against him, so that item was tabled for later consideration.
The complaint is in regards to a drug test that the UFC veteran willingly dodged on May 24. Silva appeared before the commission on June 17 and admitted to using a banned substance and avoiding a random drug test. However, Silva’s lawyer, Ross Goodman, told the commission the fighter was not using PEDs; instead, he had been taking diuretics in order to minimize inflammation from a wrist injury suffered in February.
“Wanderlei Silva has been fighting for 20 years, has over 50 professional fights and has never failed a drug test. He’s complied with all the rules and regulations of every licensing body,” Goodman said then.
The June hearing was only for information-gathering purposes, and the disciplinary hearing was eventually scheduled approximately two months later.
Silva was not present on Thursday, telling MMAFighting.com that prior commitments prevented him from attending the NAC meeting.
“I had already scheduled this tour in Canada," Silva said. "They told me (about the meeting) after I scheduled my commitments here, but my lawyer will be there and he will clarify everything."
There wasn’t much in the way of clarification, however, as it is currently unclear when the rescheduled disciplinary hearing will take place. The 38-year-old Silva hasn’t competed since March 3, 2013, when he knocked out Brian Stann in the second round at UFC on Fuel TV 8. “The Axe Murderer” was expected to face Chael Sonnen at UFC 175, but that bout was scrapped ahead of the June 17 NAC hearing.