Report: Nick Diaz Pleads Not Guilty to Two DUI Charges in California

By Tristen Critchfield Sep 26, 2014
Nick Diaz’s status for UFC 183 is still up in the air. | Dave Mandel/

UFC talent Nick Diaz pleaded not guilty to two DUI charges in San Joaquin County Court in California on Thursday, according to an report.

Diaz entered the pleas through his attorney. The fighter’s next court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 6. The Stockton, Calif., native was charged with DUI on two separate occasions -- once on Nov. 28, 2013 and again on Sept. 6.

Diaz faces a total of eight charges, including DUI, DUI with an alcohol or drug level above .08, unsafe speed for prevailing conditions, failing to appear after written promise, driving with a suspended license and resisting arrest.

In the most recent incident, Diaz was stopped in Lodi, Calif., at approximately 2 a.m., where it was determined that he was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage. Diaz was taken to a Lodi jail facility and, upon being asked to submit either a breath or blood sample, asked to use the restroom and attempted to make himself throw up.

The former Strikeforce champion is scheduled to face Anderson Silva at UFC 183in Las Vegas on Jan. 31. UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta recently told ESPN that he believes the fight will still happen.

“I don't necessarily think, and this is me personally, the charges would prevent the fight from happening," Fertitta said. "Look, clearly it's a potential violation of our code of conduct. It's something we have to sit down and take a look at, but I can't make any decisions or rush to judgment until this thing kind of plays out."

Diaz emerged from retirement to sign a contract extension with the UFC earlier this summer. He last appeared at UFC 158 in March 2013, losing a five-round verdict to Georges St. Pierre in a welterweight title bout.


Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>