Jose Aldo was hospitalized for kidney stones last week. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com
UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo was hospitalized last Friday for kidney stones, according to a report by Brazilian media outlet Combate.
The 28-year-old was treated at Samaritan Hospital in Rio de Janeiro and managed to pass the kidney stone on Saturday morning. He was then released from the hospital and returned to training that same day, according to the report.
The painful ordeal is not expected to affect Aldo’s Oct. 25 title defense against Chad Mendes at UFC 179. Andre Pederneiras, Aldo’s coach at Nova Uniao, told Combate that the kidney stone was an old issue and had nothing to do with the fighter’s weight cut.
Pederneiras said that Aldo has dealt with kidney stones since he was 16 years old, and that he also expelled a kidney stone following his victory over Chan Sung Jung at UFC 163. Aldo has yet to begin the weight-cutting process for UFC 179.
The trainer recently told Sherdog.com that Aldo rarely struggles to make weight.
“Aldo never gets too heavy. Naturally he stays 17 to 19 pounds heavy for his division training normally,” Pederneiras said. “His normal weight is 165 pounds, so he doesn’t suffer to cut weight.”
The 145-pound king last appeared at UFC 169 in February, where he captured a dominant five-round verdict against Ricardo Lamas. He was originally expected to face Mendes at UFC 176 on Aug. 2, but the former WEC titlist was forced to withdraw after suffering a neck and cervical injury in training. The entire event was subsequently canceled.