No amount of money was going to make Brock Lesnar return to the UFC. | Sherdog.com
As Brock Lesnar arrived at the ESPN studios in Los Angeles on Tuesday, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta did his best to make the ex-champion an offer he couldn’t refuse.
As it turned out, no amount of money was going to be enough to change Lesnar’s mind. He had already re-signed with World Wrestling Entertainment on Monday evening.
According to a report by the Associated Press, Lesnar turned down a UFC contract offer worth “10 times” more than what he made during his initial tenure with the Las Vegas-based promotion. And that might have been before Lesnar called Fertitta and UFC President Dana White to inform them of his decision.
“Lorenzo said to me, 'Can we sharpen our pencil? Can we double it?’” Lesnar told the Associated Press. "I said, 'It's not about that. I'm calling you to tell you where my heart is, and it's not about the money.'
"And then in the back of my mind, I'm thinking, 'Well, yeah, it is about the money, but I don't have to beat myself up for it.' To prepare for another MMA fight, we're talking 16, 18 weeks of pure hell, and then the cage door shuts and it's on."
Shortly thereafter, Lesnar went on SportsCenter to tell the rest of the world that his MMA career was officially done. Despite losing out on the potential return of the UFC’s biggest pay-per-view draw, White had nothing but positive things to say about Lesnar’s choice.
“I’m happy for him. He was always a stand up guy. From what I understand [WWE CEO Vince McMahon] made him a deal that he couldn’t refuse, which is awesome,” White told Fox Sport’s “At the Buzzer.” “I’m happy for both of them. And this is a sport that you’ve got to be all in. Brock had a really good stint here. He did some amazing things and it was fun to have him.”