Report: Vitor Belfort Submits to Random Drug Test from Nevada Athletic Commission

By Tristen Critchfield Nov 1, 2014
Vitor Belfort received a random drug test on Saturday. | Photo: Gleidson Venga

The Nevada Athletic Commission collected both blood and urine samples from UFC middleweight No. 1 contender Vitor Belfort in Florida on Saturday.

NAC Executive Director Bob Bennett confirmed to Yahoo Sports that the samples were collected by a commission representative at the fighter’s home. Belfort was cooperative during the process, according to the report. Results of the test will not be known for approximately two weeks.

Belfort will face Chris Weidman for the 185-pound title at UFC 184 in Los Angeles on Feb. 28. Previously, Bennett told that that the NAC had no plans to test Belfort since the bout was going to take place in California. Instead, those duties were expected to be handled by the California State Athletic Commission.

Belfort was granted a conditional by the NAC on July 23, which would have allowed him to face Weidman at UFC 181 in Las Vegas on Dec. 6. The Brazilian’s licensing hinged on three conditions: That his first fight take place in Las Vegas, that it occurred no earlier than December and that he pay for enhanced random drug testing proposed by the NAC out of his own pocket. In addition, Belfort was required to submit both blood and urine samples, and any member of the commission had the power to order a random test on the fighter.

That date and venue would change when Weidman suffered a hand injury and the championship bout was postponed.

Before Saturday, neither Belfort nor Weidman had been subjected to a random drug test. However, Bennett told Yahoo Sports that the NAC had always planned on testing Belfort as a result of the conditions agreed upon during the hearing.


Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>