Brock Lesnar may very well return to the UFC at some point, but for now, he has more obligations to fulfill with World Wrestling Entertainment.
WWE announced on Monday that it has re-signed Lesnar and that the former UFC heavyweight champion will next appear at the organization’s Greatest Royal Rumble event on April 27 in Saudi Arabia. Terms of the contract were not disclosed in the announcement. There had been speculation that Lesnar would leave the WWE when his previous deal expired after Wrestlemania on Sunday.
However, according to Bleacher Report, Lesnar has been signed for one more match, where he is expected to lose the title he retained against Roman Reigns at WrestleMania.
Meanwhile, Sporting News’ Stephen Muehlhausen reports that while Lesnar’s deal with WWE is of the multi-year variety, he will be allowed to compete in the UFC while still under contract.
Regardless of whether Lesnar’s WWE agreement is for one or multiple appearances, it appears that he will be able to pursue a UFC comeback, which Dana White confirmed last week.
“Yeah, Brock Lesnar’s coming back,” White said on UFC Tonight. “I don’t know when, but yes he is.”
The 40-year-old heavyweight is still under suspension for failing a USADA drug test in relation to UFC 200. Lesnar still has approximately six months of that sanction to fulfill before he could fight again. At the UFC’s 25th anniversary press conference, White admitted that Lesnar could be in line to face the winner of the heavyweight title bout between Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier at UFC 226 on July 7.
“That’s a possibility,” White said. “He’s still under contract with the UFC, but we have not signed him to a fight. He’s still under contract with us, too. He still has fights left on his deal. He’s got to get back into the USADA pool.”