Marcus Davis (above) has no retirement plans. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com
The explosive right hand of Jeremy Stephens might have removed Marcus Davis from the UFC payroll, but 37-year-old Maine native has no plans to retire.
Since his third-round knockout loss to Stephens at UFC 125 “Resolution” on New Year’s Day, the former professional boxer returned home to spend time with his family and focus on the growth of his gym. He has also made it a point to pore over flaws in his game in hopes of future improvement.
“[I’m] studying always, studying things that I did wrong, studying things that I could do to improve. That’s the thought,” Davis told Sherdog.com. “That’s what our whole job as human beings is -- to always look to get better at everything, regardless of if it’s fighting or being a parent or whatever our job is. Becoming stronger, smarter -- that’s what we do.”
The Irish-American standout appeared to be getting the best of Stephens in the early going before the decisive blow was struck at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
“I don’t even understand how anybody could even say [it was a] close fight. If you watched the fight, up until he actually hit me and I went out, he never landed a punch other than when we were clinched against the cage,” he said. “I felt like I was very much in control.”
Davis said his manager, Joe Cavallaro, is in preliminary discussions with at least two organizations regarding future fights. The Team Sityodtong representative said that a promotion in the United States, as well as one in the U.K., has expressed interest in his services.
“My job is to train and prepare for fights,” Davis said. “It’s my manager’s job to book those fights. I know a lot of interest has come from the U.K., so we are talking to people over there. I don’t know what’s gonna happen.”
“The Irish Hand Grenade” had a lengthy run at welterweight in the UFC before dropping down to 155 pounds for his Jan. 1 clash with Stephens. From September 2006 to January 2008, he reeled off a six-fight winning streak in the Octagon before dropping a unanimous decision to Mike Swick at UFC 85. “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 2 alum has fallen on hard times recently, however, losing four of his last five bouts. With those struggles in mind, Davis holds no grudge regarding his release from MMA’s premier organization.
“I haven’t performed my best in the last year and a half, and, therefore, they gotta kick me out to make room for the guys that are performing their best,” he said. “I don’t hold anything against the UFC. I’m still friends with [UFC President] Dana [White] and [matchmaker] Joe Silva and all those guys. It was business. It wasn’t personal at all.”
When Davis does return to the cage, he plans on remaining at 155 pounds for the foreseeable future. While fighting at 170, Davis said he would often endure as much as a 45-pound cut to make weight. The cut to 155 will be much less grueling from what he said is his current weight of 180 pounds.
“I’m not actually entertaining any offers at 70,” he said. “[Lightweight] is honestly where I should have been my entire career, and that’s where I’m gonna be. Right now, it’s not difficult for me maintaining and staying close to that weight.”
Reader comments are active below. Register an opinion by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account.