Roy Nelson Officially Pulled from Bellator 200, Named Heavyweight Grand Prix Alternate

By Tristen Critchfield May 23, 2018


Roy Nelson has officially been removed from the Bellator 200 card.

Earlier in the week, it was unclear if “Big Country” would remain on the bill after Mirko Filipovic pulled out of the originally scheduled headliner due to injury. Speaking with media (video via MMAFighting.com) on Wednesday, Bellator president Scott Coker revealed that Nelson would not be competing.

“Unfortunately, Mirko tore his knee and he’s out, so Roy will not be fighting on Friday,” Coker said. “We will sit down with Roy after this fight and get him re-booked and get him busy again.”

Nelson vs. Filipovic was to determine an alternate for the promotion’s ongoing heavyweight grand prix. The good news for Nelson is that he will receive that alternate spot automatically due to the “Cro Cop” injury. The portly knockout artist was eliminated from the bracket in a decision loss to Matt Mitrione on Feb. 16.

“Roy is the guy now, so if he gets a spot by default, that’s what it is,” Coker said. “Roy will move forward in the tournament if somebody else can’t make it.”

Bellator 200 takes place at SSE Arena in London and features a newly-promoted main event, as Rafael Carvalho defends his middleweight title against Gegard Mousasi. The card will air via tape delay in the United States on the Paramount Network at 9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT.

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Write For Us