Krzysztof Soszynski recently had surgeries on both knees. | Jeff Sherwood/Sherdog.com
After having surgery on both knees in January to repair meniscus tears, Krzysztof Soszynski is hoping to return in June.
The UFC light heavyweight was seen walking without a limp at the L.A. Fitness Expo just a week after the surgeries.
“I guess my pain tolerance is pretty high,” Soszynski said with a laugh during a Sherdog Radio Network interview conducted at the January fitness event. “From what I’ve been told by my doctors after the surgeries, I should be on my feet right away. It’s the best way to get back right off the bat. The very next day I was already walking around the house and moving a little bit. They had me on crutches for about a day or so, 24 hours, but after that I was able to start moving around. I was back in the gym three days later, helping out some of my teammates.”
Soszynski said he has talked with the UFC about returning June 11 at UFC 131 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
“I feel that’s enough time for me to rehab and get back into the cage,” he explained. “As far as opponents, I’ve always been wanting to fight Stephan Bonnar for the third time. I think the first fights have been great and I think that if we step into the cage again together, it will be one for the ages. Also guys like Forrest Griffin, [Vladimir] Matyushenko, a guy like Matt Hamill -- I would love to step into the cage with those guys and see if I belong in the upper echelon of the top 10.”
Soszynski also said that he has about seven months remaining on his current UFC contract. He is 5-2 since participating on the eighth season of “The Ultimate Fighter.”
“I’m really looking forward to hopefully signing with the UFC on my second contract and having some security for my family,” Soszynski said. “We all do this because we love it. We also want to provide security for our family. … So far, with the way I fight and the exciting fights I’ve had, I don’t think Joe Silva will be coming for me and giving me the pink slip anytime soon. But all it takes with the UFC is that one bad fight, and you might be out.”
In the meantime, Soszynski plans on rehabbing wisely and enjoying his time off.
“Last year was a grueling year for me,” he said. “I had three wars. Two with Stephan Bonnar and a three-rounder with Goran Reljic, all three really tough fights. I’ve been fortunate enough to win a couple of bonuses as well. … It really helps me out to be able to kind of sit back a little bit, heal my body first and most importantly before I jump at the chance to fight right away. I’m not a young guy. I’m 33 years old. My body’s not the 25-year-old machine it was back in the day when I was able to go through anything and everything. I’m going to take my time. I’m going to heal 100 percent before I do any crazy physical activities.”
Listen to the full interview (beginning at 4:04:20) with Krzysztof Soszynski.
Reader comments are active below. Chime in with an opinion or thought by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account.