St. Pierre Dodges Surgery

By Loretta Hunt Jul 18, 2009
Georges St. Pierre will not require surgery for a groin injury he sustained during his five-round victory against Thiago Alves at UFC 100 on July 11 in Las Vegas.

“Georges should be back in the gym training within a few weeks after a brief rehabilitation,” wrote the French Canadian’s manager Shari Spencer in an email to Sherdog.com.

An MRI taken earlier this week revealed no lasting damage, Spencer told Sherdog.com.

The UFC welterweight champion said he “pulled” his groin during the fourth round of his title defense against American Top Team’s Alves, allowing the Brazilian to reverse to top position briefly in the bout.

“I try an armbar from his back and something happened… I felt my right abductor cracking… something went wrong. I hear the noise of the ligament ripping,” wrote the 28-year-old on his blog at YardBarker.com.

St. Pierre said trainer Greg Jackson encouraged the Canadian to push through the injury during a corner exchange right before the final round.

“Greg Jackson answers back to me, 'I don’t care! This is how champions are made! Fight on it and hit him with your groin,'” wrote St. Pierre.

St. Pierre persevered, and won every single round on all three judges’ cards.

The champion’s next challenger has already been revealed as well.

UFC President Dana White announced Wednesday that the winner of UFC 103’s Mike Swick vs. Martin Kampmann bout will get a shot at St. Pierre’s crown. UFC 103 will be held on Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Around The Web