Last week Khabib Nurmagomedov’s manager, Ali Abdelaziz, made some outlandish demands regarding his fighter’s next payday.
“Ben Askren, [Tyron] Woodley, none of these guys can touch Khabib,” Abdelaziz said. “Especially if they’re scared to get tired and these guys, they get tired. Now, I’m not even worried about Tyron or Ben Askren, I’m worrying about somebody bringing $50 million to $100 million to the table and none of these guys can bring $200,000 to the table.”
Abdelaziz went on to point at the Nurmagomedov’s opponent at UFC 229, Conor McGregor, was rumored to have made $50 million for their Oct. 6 bout. McGregor, of course, is the biggest star in the UFC and has shattered pay records within the promotion, not to mention the $100 million or so he reportedly pocketed for his boxing match with Floyd Mayweather in August 2017.
While Nurmagomedov certainly raised his profile by submitting McGregor, he likely hasn’t matched the Irishman in overall box office appeal. Dana White simply chuckled when Abdelaziz’s demands were mentioned at the UFC 230 post-fight press conference on Saturday night.
“Come on,” White said. “They know what’s realistic for them. They know the answer to that question. It’s fun to say.”
Before Nurmagomedov’s next move can be determined, he is scheduled to appear before the Nevada State Athletic Commission in December. “The Eagle” jumped out of the Octagon following his submission of McGregor to attack SBG Ireland cornerman Dillon Danis, sparking a brawl between the two teams. McGregor is also facing discipline at the hearing.