Conor McGregor made waves earlier this week when he claimed that he would need to be both a promoter and a fighter in order to make his UFC return.
“They’ve got to entice me now because I came from a billion dollar fight. You’ve got to entice me with some equity, I want ownership, I want partner….I want to be true partners in this similar to the way I was in the Floyd fight,” McGregor said during a scrum interview posted by SevereMMA.com. “I was a promoter and I was a fighter. That must continue for me to continue. Otherwise I’ve got many entities and many interests that can carry on also. I’m already set. They must entice me.”
Of course, McGregor has new leverage after earning a career-best payday for his boxing match with Floyd Mayweather on Aug. 26. But even before that bout, “The Notorious” one had established himself as the Las Vegas-based promotion’s biggest star, as pay-per-views headlined by the Dublin native have consistently topped more than 1 million buys.
Meanwhile, UFC President Dana White has repeatedly said in various interviews that he expects McGregor to compete in the Octagon before the conclusion of 2017. During a pre-fight press conference to promote UFC 217 on Thursday, White still seemed confident that the organization would be able to come to terms with McGregor. After all, it isn’t the first time McGregor has attempted to use his status in contract negotiations.
“As we go into negotiations with Conor there’s always all kinds of crazy stuff out there,” White said. “We always get deals done with Conor. Conor has been easy to deal with, and we’ll get it done.”