Conor McGregor continues to raise the bar with his performance in the Octagon, and now he wants a special of compensation for his work.
Where once that meant record-breaking fight purses, “The Notorious” one is seeking something more following his second-round knockout of Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 in New York, a card that broke both UFC and Madison Square Garden records with a $17.7 million gate.
“I’ve been happy to continue what I’m doing. I feel I’ve outworn the previous contract. When I’m looking at what they’re taking in, that list that Lorenzo [Fertitta] compiled to show the new owners. That’s the gospel, that’s proof of what I bring. You want me to be around and continue to push the company, bring me aboard,” McGregor said. “I need to be set for life with this. As owner, an equity stake in the company, that’s what I’m looking for.”
McGregor become the first two-division champion in UFC history by vanquishing Alvarez with relative ease on Saturday night. The SBG Ireland dropped his opponent three times in the bout, the final knockdown signaling the end of the contest 3:04 into the second round.
“It feels great. It feels familiar. I saw it so clearly, I swear to God, I saw it so consistently,” he said. “I’m very satisfied, very grateful, very happy, but I’m not surprised,” he said.
“I’m comfortable with that style of opponent. I don’t know. I feel good. I feel like I’m only reaching my prime. I’m only 28.”
Although McGregor may be at the peak of his powers, he did reveal that impending fatherhood might make his layoff a little longer than it has been of late. The Dublin native has fought four times in the past 11 months dating back to his 13-second knockout of Jose Aldo at UFC 194.
“One announcement is I’m gonna be a daddy early next year. I’m crapping my jocks,” he said…I’m gonna just have this baby, take a little bit of time and see what way I feel after that. The’ve got to come talk to me now. No one’s talked to me since the sale has happened.”
The UFC was sold to William Morris Endeavor and International Management Group (WME-IMG) for a reported $4 billion earlier this year. Gone are Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, and many familiar UFC staff members have either been let go or will be leaving on their own accord very soon. A number of celebrities and professional athletes now have a stake in the company, and McGregor believes he deserves a piece of the lucrative pie he’s helped to create.
“I’ve earned something. People have shares in the company, celebrities. Conan O’Brien has a share in the company. Where’s my share? Where’s my equity? If I’m the one that’s bringing this, I want what I deserve, what I’ve earned.”
Until those discussions with new ownership occur, McGregor won’t think too hard about his next move in the Octagon, whether that be at 155 pounds or otherwise.
“I’m aware of my worth,” he said. “And now I’ve got a family, now I got a kid on the way. I’m coming for mine now if you want me back.”