Adriano Moraes Submits Geje Eustaquio to Become First One FC Flyweight Champion

By James Goyder Sep 12, 2014
Adriano Moraes submitted Geje Eustaquio in the One Fighting Championship 20 headliner. | Photo Courtesy: One FC

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia -- Adriano Moraes is rapidly establishing himself as one of One Fighting Championship’s biggest stars, and the Brazilian enhanced his burgeoning reputation by submitting Geje Eustaquio and becoming the promotion’s first-ever flyweight champion at One FC 20 “Rise of the Kingdom” on Friday at the Koh Pich Theatre.

Against Eustaquio in the main event, Moraes found himself backtracking for virtually the entire first round. Eustaquio pressed forward but could not land anything effective against the Brazilian, who seemed content to see out the round without getting sucked into any exchanges.

That all changed at the start of the second stanza, as the two flyweights traded wild punches. Moraes landed the more effective shots. Two right hands in quick succession staggered Eustaquio, who appeared to be on wobbly legs. However, Moraes decided to capitalize by shooting for a takedown rather than trying to exact more damage standing. Eustaquio was briefly on his back but quickly sprang to his feet, only for Moraes to jump for a guillotine. The Filipino tried to fight off the maneuver, but Moraes’ grip on the choke was too tight, leading to a tapout from Eustaquio (6-3).

Moraes (12-1) has now submitted three consecutive opponents. He has never been defeated at 125 pounds, with his only defeat coming to Yusup Saadulaev in a short-notice catchweight fight in 2013.

In the co-headliner, Caros Fodor capitalized on a dominant second round to finish Vincent Latoel with a rear-naked choke. Fodor (9-4) took down the Dutchman, punished him with ground-and-pound from high mount and secured the submission when Latoel (15-14-2) surrendered his back in a desperate attempt to escape.

(+ Enlarge) | Photo Courtesy: One FC

Lepont took out Chau impressively.
Meanwhile, Suasday Chau made an emotional return to the Cambodian capital, only to have it spoiled when Arnaud Lepont stomped his head midway through the opening round. Chau (4-4) -- an Australian who was born to Cambodian parents in a Thailand refugee camp as they fled from the Khmer Rouge -- was on his back fishing for an armbar when the incident occurred. While the stomp looked entirely accidental, it took him a long time to recover. He was blown away by a flurry of elbows and punches from Lepont (11-4) as soon as the fight was restarted.

There was also a controversial conclusion to the One FC featherweight grand prix, as Chan Rotthana delivered what appeared to be an illegal axe kick to the head of a grounded Samang Dun (5-2). Dun was unable to recover, resulting in Rotthana (2-1) being disqualified.

(+ Enlarge) | Photo Courtesy: One FC

Meu put a savage beatdown on Heng.
Earlier, Taiawanese MMA star Sung Ming Yen (4-1) claimed a unanimous decision over Radeem Rahman (2-1); Amir Khan (1-0) stopped Jian Kai Chee (4-5) with punches in the first round; Meas Meu (2-0) submitted Chan Heng (7-2) with a rear-naked choke in round one; and Tharoth Sam (2-0) put away Vy Srey Chai (0-1) by armbar-induced technical submission in the opening frame.

In the featherweight grand prix semifinals, Dun knocked out Chin Heng (1-3) inside one round, while Rothana stopped Prak Chansin (4-5) on a first-round technical knockout.
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>