Cody Gibson Knocks Out Kyle Reyes in Second to Retain TPF Bantamweight Title

By Mike Sloan Nov 4, 2016
Cody Gibson went to war with Kyle Reyes in the main event of Tachi Palace Fights 29 on Thursday and his powerful right hand allowed him to retain his bantamweight title. Normally a slow starter, Gibson exploded out of his corner and went toe-to-toe with the challenger. With both men winging deadly punches from all angles, the warriors tore into each other and gave as good they got.

Reyes, originally from Guam but living and training in Las Vegas, landed his fair share of powerful punches, but Gibson’s strikes had more mustard on them and they hurt Reyes in the first. Still, “Boom” continued to slug it out and wound up rocking the champion with a combo to the head. Reyes tried closing out the fight with a guillotine, but he missed it and the Ultimate Fighting Championship (online betting) veteran recovered.

Gibson wasted no time in the second and ended the battle just moments into the frame. “Renegade” drilled Reyes with a mammoth overhand right behind the ear, a punch that caused the challenger to fall onto his forehead. The Drysdale BJJ fighter rolled over and tried to recover, but Gibson was all over him with punches until referee Mark Lawley stopped it just 21 seconds into the stanza.

Adrian Diaz was slated to defend his featherweight title but when late replacement opponent Emilio Chavez was unable to cut enough weight on short notice, his co-featured bout changed to a three-round non-title affair. It seemed like he’d have an easy time with Chavez but that clearly wasn’t the case.

Chavez stormed out of his corner and slammed the champion down hard onto his back. From there, Chavez seized his back and threatened with a rear-naked choke for nearly three minutes. Diaz was caught deeply in one of the attempts but the champ was able to snake himself free and scramble to his feet. Moments later, he rocked Chavez with a left hook and the latched on a textbook guillotine and forced the tap when he pulled guard with 59 seconds remaining in the opening stanza.

Chase Gibson proved to be too much for Adam Calderon to handle as “El Guero” dominated his featherweight foe from the start. Gibson was better on the feet and during the scrambles and won virtually every minute of every round. “Chingon” didn’t do himself any favors, either, by having a point taken away in the second for repeatedly kneeing Gibson in the groin – accidentally – and in the end, all three judges saw it for Gibson via tallies of 30-26.

The last time Castle Williams fought, it was 18 months ago and he lost a decision to Brandon Cohea. Now on the comeback trail, the young featherweight tore through Victor Rico like lava through a snowman. Williams never allowed Rico a chance to get comfortable as he rocked him with a head kick, barely missed a flying knee and then finished him off with a torrent of punches. The end came just 47 seconds into the fight.

Former UFC fighter Justin Jones was too much for late replacement Joey Cabezas as “Black Dynamite” did whatever he wanted inside the cage. Jones landed some solid punches on the feet but when he took Cabezas down, he mauled him. Jones moved from submission attempt to submission attempt, but Cabezas was able to fend them all off. However, Jones finally mounted his opponent and pounded away until referee Mark Lawley stopped it. The official time of the TKO came at 2:50 of the second.

In a 160-pound catchweight battle, it was Nick Bustamante who was the better of the namesakes as he badly hurt Nick Vanderpool with a knee to the midsection in the second. Vanderpool had a difficult time in recovering, which allowed Bustamante to pounce. After softening his foe up with strikes from back control, Bustamante eventually sunk in a rear-naked choke and nearly put his foe to sleep. The official time of the submission came at 2:03 of the frame.

Heavyweight “Butter” Van Palacio returned to action for the first time in several years and he got the win for doing virtually nothing but taking kicks and punches. Opponent Rafael “Rex” del Real was in complete control with his striking but when he had a right low kick checked, he crumbled in a heap with badly injured – most likely broken - shin. The fight was waived off at 1:41 into the contest.

Lightweight contender Joshua Aveles got back on the winning track with a dominant performance against Brandon Ricetti. The Rancho Cucamonga fighter prevented every takedown attempt and ripped “Kiba” with punches to the head and body. After dropping the taller Ricetti several times, “El Rey” poured on his attacks and finally scored a TKO when referee Jason McCoy stepped in and called off the mugging at 2:43 of the third.
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>