Conor McGregor created quite the stir when he recently held a press conference in Moscow and announced that he’d be making his Octagon return at a UFC event in Las Vegas on Jan. 18.
Shortly thereafter, UFC president Dana White confirmed that the promotion was targeting that date for the Irish star’s return but added that there was nothing concrete in place. Even with rumors swirling regarding a potential matchup with Donald Cerrone, nothing has changed in that regard.
“There’s literally nothing done,” White told ESPN following UFC 244. “Cowboy Cerrone hasn’t even been called. Cowboy Cerrone sent me a text saying, ‘I hope all this chatter is true.’ There’s literally nothing going on with Conor McGregor right now.”
While McGregor pleaded guilty to assaulting a man in an Irish bar in April, which resulted in a fine of slightly more than $1,000 and no jail time, more concerning legal troubles still loom for the former two-division UFC champion. The New York Times recently reported that McGregor is under investigation for a second sexual assault charge that allegedly occurred in his home country last month. A previous investigation regarding an alleged rape involving McGregor from last December is still ongoing.
White briefly addressed those allegations but did not mention if they would affect his ability to fight in the UFC in the near future.
“It’s obviously not fun,” White said. “It’s not good stuff. iIt’s not stuff that we’re excited to hear. He just pleaded guilty to this other thing, too. There’s nothing going on right now, and when there is I’ll let you guys know.”