Earlier this week, Nate Diaz got the MMA community buzzing when he announced that he would be facing Dustin Poirier for a newly-created 165-pound belt in the UFC 230 headliner.
Poirier was on board with the idea, as well, and that created some excitement that there might be a new division headed to the UFC. Dana White quickly squashed that notion, and he elaborated more during a recent interview with TMZ Sports.
“Not only will there not [be a new division], we did not ever discuss that with him [Diaz],” White said. “It was never an option, never anything.”
Diaz hasn’t competed in the Octagon since a loss in a rematch with Conor McGregor at UFC 202 in August 2016. Diaz’s antics — particularly the 165-pound title claims — since the announcement of his lightweight matchup with Poirier have confounded the UFC president.
“It’s nutty as hell,” White said. “The guy [Diaz] signed a deal to fight at 155 pounds against Poirier,” White said. “And, you know, from the minute the deal was signed, and he went out on stage, it’s completely weird. That’s what it is.”
Diaz later implied that he might not show up to Madison Square Garden. White said the fight is still on, despite some confusion to the contrary.
Ufc just told me that Dustin doesn’t want to fight at 165lbs— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) September 28, 2018
I b bak next year ...
“I think he has to,” White said. “The guy signed a deal. Tickets went on sale. All the stuff is in motion. You can’t just sign a deal and then, you know, do the things that he’s doing right now and not fight.
“If you look at what he’s doing, I swear to God, I just had some police officers come in here this afternoon and said, ‘Oh, it sucks the Diaz fight is off.’ Most people think the fight isn’t even on because of what he’s doing on social media.”
UFC 230 takes place on Nov. 3 at Madison Square Garden in New York. Diaz vs. Poirier is set for the evening’s main card, but the event does not yet have an official headliner.