Last week, Donald Cerrone hinted that he was ”just waiting” on Conor McGregor for a potential booking in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
“Cowboy’s” social media post implied that a contract had already been offered for the bout, but according to UFC President Dana White, no such thing is in the works.
“Absolutely not true,” White recently told TMZ Sports. “Obviously, that’s the fight that ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone wants, but that’s not true.”
Cerrone has momentum coming off a first-round submission of former Jackson-Wink MMA training partner Mike Perry at UFC Fight Night 139 on Nov. 10. A pairing with McGregor would make sense considering that Cerrone is planning to return to lightweight following a stint at 170 pounds. However, the Irishman is still facing discipline for his involvement in a post-fight brawl following his loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229.
“Those guys go before the Nevada State Athletic Commission in December, and then we’ll know what’s up,” White said.
“We’re not even thinking about [a fight]. It’s not even worth talking about. We don’t know how long the suspension’s gonna be, what their fine is gonna be. We don’t know the penalties yet. You can’t even think about fights until you know what the penalties are.”
Meanwhile, Floyd Mayweather continues to angle for a boxing match against Nurmagomedov, the UFC’s reigning lightweight champion. “Money” already owns a boxing win over McGregor, but White says that’s not happening again.
“The answer is no,” White said. “He’s gonna have to come here and get his ass whooping. We did that last time. You gotta come here this time. Every time he wants to box. You wanna fight? Want to make 150 million? Come over here and get your ass whooped.”