Darren Till Confirms Likely Move To Middleweight, Can Be Ready on Four Weeks' Notice

By Nathan Zur Aug 13, 2019


Darren Till has hinted that his next appearance insider the UFC’s Octagon will be in the middleweight division and believes he only needs to be given four weeks’ notice to be fight-ready when the matchmakers call.

Till has suffered back-to-back losses at the hands of former 170-pound champion Tyron Woodley last September and then to fellow welterweight contender Jorge Masvidal back in March.

The 26-year-old spoke with BT Sport recently and hinted that his future in the promotion is likely to be in the heavier middleweight division (transcript via MMAJunkie.com):

“Most probably, yeah,” Till said. “Like, I think it’s important to implement a few other, like I say, tweaking, and I’ve been lifting a little bit, just a tiny bit. As I say, I’ve been improving my nutrition and other things by 5 percent. I’m ready to go in four weeks for the fight. No one trains like me, they just don’t. I know they don’t.”

Till has a history with tough weight cuts in the past and had previously stated that his cut for his fight against Masvidal was easier because of better decisions he made from a nutrition point-of-view. “The Gorilla” isn’t committing to a future at 185-pounds and said his focus now is to remain healthy and that he’ll talk with his coach Colin Heron on which division is best for him when the UFC call him next.

“Right now, what I want to do is get myself in some kind of shape where I see what I’m like lean, and I want to go from there, and I know that’s what Colin wants, as well,” Till said. “We’ll see. As I say mate, down the line, somewhere, I’m going to be champion. I’ve got a lot of time to do that, so we’ll see.”

The Liverpool native doesn’t have a fight or an opponent yet and said he is targeting a return to action by the end of the year.

“Before Christmas, I’m definitely out, I definitely want to fight,” Till said. “I can’t wait to get back in and move around and stuff like that, so we’ll see.”

Till says his confidence remains high despite his two losses against Woodley and Masvidal and believes a slight change in his mental approach may be worthwhile:

“I truthfully believe I’m still the best fighter in the world, I do,” Till said. “I know I’ve got the skillset and the mindset for that, but maybe it’s approaching certain things sometimes in different ways. Maybe it wasn’t going into a fight being like, ‘I’m the best in the world.’ Maybe just go into that fight, I just want to beat this guy. Everything else comes after it, you know what I mean?”

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>