Erick Silva and Family Recovering from Coronavirus Infection in Rio de Janeiro

By Tristen Critchfield Apr 6, 2020


Former Ultimate Fighting Championship competitor Erick Silva recently had a firsthand encounter with COVID-19.

Silva revealed to Brazilian outlet Combate Combate that his family — including himself, his wife, two children, mother-in-law, father-in-law and sister-in-law — were infected with coronavirus and are now recovering in quarantine at his in-law’s home in Rio de Janeiro.

“Everyone is fine,” Silva told Combate. “The biggest concern is the lack of information, anxiety. Now everyone is calmer. We even asked people who work at the house not to come, we spent two weeks with each other for this to pass. We followed the doctors' recommendations.”

Silva’s 5-month-old son showed the first symptoms, while his 10-year-old was asymptomatic. Shortly thereafter, the rest of the family began to show signs of the coronavirus. Lack of taste proved to be a common symptom for everyone. Fatigue, headaches and body aches were also prevalent throughout the household.

“…The biggest problem is that, in the beginning, when we started to feel the first symptoms, we didn't know what it was,” Silva said. “It started with my wife. The first day she felt it, she had a lot of headaches, chills, and we didn't care. At first nobody cares. We thought it was an allergy, she didn't smell or taste anything. Then it was my mother-in-law, she also stopped tasting, then it was me. Then everyone had the same symptoms, my sister-in-law, my father-in-law, the same symptoms for everyone.”

Everyone ultimately tested positive for COVID-19, but no family member was hospitalized due to extreme symptoms. Silva initially felt signs of the disease approximately 10 days ago but is now asymptomatic. The 35-year-old fighter traveled to the United States in February for his brother Gabriel Silva’s bout at UFC Fight Night 169 in Norfolk, Va., on Feb. 29.

Brazil currently has reported more than 11,000 cases and 500 deaths as a result of COVID-19.

“We decided to give the interview to reassure everyone… We didn't expect to catch it,” Silva said.

“My brother hasn't presented anything so far,” he added. “I can't say for sure, but as he and my family didn't present it, I believe that if I got it, it was after I wasn't with Gabriel anymore or they are all asymptomatic.”

A 15-time UFC veteran, Silva is currently under contract with Bellator. His last appearance came at Bellator 223, where he dropped a unanimous decision to Paul Daley on June 22.

<h2>Fight Finder</h2>