Gilbert Melendez on Nick Diaz’s Status: ‘Last Time I Checked, He’s Retired’

By Tristen Critchfield Feb 6, 2019


While Nick Diaz was briefly linked to a matchup with Jorge Masvidal, at least one person close to the Stockton, Calif., native believes he’s retired from mixed martial arts.

That’s according to Skrap Pack stablemate and friend Gilbert Melendez, who provided an update on the former Strikeforce champion’s status during an appearance on Chael Sonnen's ”You’re Welcome” podcast.

“I would love to see him come back, but last time I checked, he’s retired,” Melendez said.

UFC President Dana White confirmed that the promotion was close to finalizing a Diaz vs. Masvidal bout at UFC 235. Shortly thereafter Diaz backed out of the fight and White was back to doubting the likelihood of a comeback for the controversial fighter.

Melendez wouldn’t entirely rule out a Diaz return to the Octagon, but it would have to be the right offer. So far, nothing has enticed him. Diaz last appeared at UFC 183 against Anderson Silva in January 2015, losing a five-round decision that was later overturned to a no contest.

Diaz isn’t currently facing any legal obstacles that would prevent him from competing in the UFC. He was cleared of domestic violence charges last year when a Las Vegas judge dismissed the case. He also completed a one-year USADA sanction for whereabouts failures last April.

“I don’t think there’s anything holding him back, except just his decision whether he wants to come back or not,” Melendez said. “He’s in shape. … I think he’s always running and staying ready. He’s a ninja. He’s always ready.”

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>