Despite making a statement that seemed to be to the contrary on social media last week, it appears that Nate Diaz isn’t officially announcing his retirement.
A few days after his ”Peace out fight game” post , the Stockton, Calif., native disputed the notion that he was walking away from the sport.
“Who said I was retired?” Diaz told ESPN. “I’ll fight tonight.”
Diaz then took some time to re-examine his loss to Jorge Masvidal at UFC 244, where the bout was halted after three rounds due to a cut above Diaz’s eye. Diaz posted a photo of himself landing a punch on Masvidal and questioned whether “Gamebred” would have wanted to continue had the contest entered the championship frames.
“This is the time where him and I realized he didn’t want to be in this fight anymore,” Diaz wrote.
This is the time in the fight— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) November 10, 2019
where him and I realized he didn’t wanna be in this fight anymore. pic.twitter.com/Ehiw5ryObG
While Diaz might not be officially retired, a lengthy hiatus would be nothing new for the popular fighter, as he sat out more than three years following his majority decision loss to Conor McGregor at UFC 202.