Stefan Struve Considering Retirement After UFC Prague, But Not '100 Percent Sure'

By Cole Shelton Feb 23, 2019


Stefan Struve was back in action in the co-main event of UFC Prague on Saturday. “The Skyscraper,” who made it known he was on his last fight of his contract, ended up getting a much-needed win that could mark his final Octagon appearance.

After getting dominated in the first round by Marcos Rogerio de Lima, Struve bounced back and submitted his Brazilian opponent with an arm-triangle choke 2:21 inti the second round. The win snapped Struve’s three-fight losing streak and improved his career record to 29-11. After the victory, Struve took off his gloves and announced his retirement from MMA. However, he admitted that the decision isn’t final.

"This is something I've thought over a lot. I think everyone is aware that my heart is not 100 percent. When I made my comeback, I told myself I'd fight five years,” Struve said. "I've fought a little longer since then. My heart is good, but there is a very good opportunity that this is my last fight.

“So, thank you very much. I took my gloves off, I'm not 100 percent sure yet. It's not a decision I've made right now. I lost my last three before this and to get a win like this, a lot of people end their careers too late. I'm going to overthink this, so this is not 100 percent but I feel like this is a great moment. Thank you to all the fans, I love you.”

If it is the end, Struve finishes his UFC tenure among the all-time heavyweight leaders in wins, finishes and submissions. “The Skyscraper” has compiled a 13-9 mark during a promotional career that includes notable wins over Stipe Miocic, Pat Barry, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, among others.

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>