Taylor Lapilus Outstrikes Wilson Reis, Wins Decision in Ares FC 2 Headliner

After taking a long hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Ares Fighting Championship returned for its sophomore event on Saturday at Marcel Cerdan Arena in Paris, France.

The Ares FC 2 headliner was a showdown between former Ultimate Fighting Championship 125-pound title challenger Wilson Reis and fellow UFC alum Taylor Lapilus. The contestants tested each other’s skills on the feet in the first frame. In front of a partisan crowd, Lapilus denied all his opponent’s takedowns and dropped Reis (24-12, 0-1 Ares) once. The Brazilian immediately bounced back and swept his opponent in hopes of securing a rear-naked choke. Lapilus escaped the tough spot and retaliated with some punches, finishing the round on top.

In the second frame, Lapilus scored with knees to his opponent’s body before staying true to his “Double Impact” nickname and knocking down Reis with a clean two-piece combination. The Brazilian answered with a rare gogoplata attempt that didn’t come to fruition. In the third stanza, Lapilus put his quick hands to work, but Reis answered with a takedown, racking up control time from top position without seriously threatening the Frenchman. Ultimately, all three cageside judges sided with Lapilus (17-3, 2-0 Ares), who earned a unanimous decision with 29-28, 29-27, and 29-27 scorecards.

In the co-main event, former Brave Combat Federation welterweight titleholder Abdoul Abdouraguimov locked horns with Luciano Contini in a 177-pound catchweight affair. Contini (13-4, 0-1 Ares), who stepped up on short-notice to replace Alex Lohore, attacked with some calf kicks early in Round 1. Abdouraguimov (13-1, 1-0 Ares) took some time to become accustomed to his foe’s approach and then shot for a successful double-leg takedown. Once on the mat, “The Lazy King” immediately jumped on his Contini’s back and locked in a rear-naked choke. After a few seconds of futile resistance, Contini tapped at the 1:57 mark of Round 1.

Earlier, Cage Warriors vet Louis Glismann (9-2, 1-0 Ares) subdued UFC vet Emil Meek (9-6, 1NC; 0-1 Ares) with an armbar 60 seconds into their welterweight affair; Daguir Imavov (13-3-1, 1-0 Ares) outpointed short-notice replacement David-Tonatiuh Crol (8-7, 0-1 Ares) via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) at lightweight; in a 135-pound clash, Gisele Moreira (10-5, 1-0 Ares) stopped Rizlen Zouak (5-4, 0-1 Ares) with a body kick and punches at the 2:57 mark of the second stanza; and London Shootfighters standout Felix Klinkhammer (6-0, 1-0 Ares) overcame Karim Rabei (6-3, 0-1 Ares) via first-round kneebar in their welterweight affair.

On the preliminary card, Benjamin Sehic (4-0, 1-0 Ares) tapped Aboubacar Bathily (7-4, 0-1 Ares) via armbar at the 4:19 mark of Round 1 at heavyweight; Wissem Akhmouch (5-0,1-0 Ares) submitted Cherif Drame (3-1, 0-1 Ares) with a rear-naked choke 3:26 into the second frame of their middleweight affair; Marsel Sychev (2-0, 1-0 Ares) stopped Pawel Biernat (2-1, 0-1 Ares) with some powerful shots at the 2:58 mark in Round 1 in the heavyweight division.

The card opened with Temerlan Azizov (2-0, 1-0 Ares) upending Patrik Martinik (2-1, 0-1 Ares) via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) in the flyweight division. 

Related Articles


What should be the next UFC men's flyweight title fight?