Trevin Giles, Joanne Calderwood Offer Updates After Fainting Episodes at UFC Fight Night 173

By Tristen Critchfield Aug 2, 2020

Sign up for ESPN+ right here, and you can then stream the UFC live on your smart TV, computer, phone, tablet or streaming device via the ESPN app.

Trevin Giles was a last-minute scratch from UFC Fight Night 173 when he fainted just prior to his middleweight bout against Kevin Holland.

After spending the night in the hospital, Giles revealed in a statement on Instagram that “heart irregularities” may have caused the episode.

“Got held overnight in the hospital. Apparently I have heart irregularities that may be the cause of all this,” Giles wrote. “Just had a heart cardiogram this morning. Waiting for the good news and back to Houston I go. I will enjoy my family, assure all my loved ones that I'm okay, then I will prepare to handle some unfinished business. Thanks for all the love and concern.”

While the UFC made an effort to contact Ed Herman, who lost Gerald Meerschaert as an opponent due to a positive COVID-19 test a few hours before the card, as a potential replacement foe for Holland, those efforts were ultimately unsuccessful.

“This was the f---ing craziest week ever,” UFC president Dana White said at Saturday’s post-fight press conference. “We got through it. He [Giles] fainted. Holland couldn’t have had a better attitude about the fight pulling out. He was ready to fight tonight if we ended up getting Ed Herman back. And he wants to fight next week or the week after. Whatever we want, he’s ready to go.

“We were trying to track him [Herman] down,” White continued. “Ed Herman’s nickname is ‘Short Fuse.’ He was pissed off about the fight today, and he was going crazy. Then this thing happened and we were trying to get him back…Let’s just say he couldn’t come back. He had moved on.”

Giles wasn’t the only competitor to faint at Saturday’s event. Joanne Calderwood fainted following her first-round submission loss to Jennifer Maia in the flyweight co-headliner. She also stayed at the hospital overnight before being released on Sunday morning. The cause of Calderwood’s fainting is currently unclear.

“Well that was a rough night at the office,” Calderwood wrote on Instagram. Congratulations to Jennifer Maia. I’m so grateful for my family, friends and fans that are here to help pick me back up in this crazy life we all share. It’s a fight, every day we all fight, but it’s not every day it goes our way. Thanks to all the @ufc staff, the medics and docs at umc..oh and my knight in shining armour @bigwoodmma702 sorry for scaring you babe!”



Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>