Last week, Conor McGregor held a press conference in Moscow, where he announced that plans are in motion for him to make his Ultimate Fighting Championship return on Jan. 18 in Las Vegas.
Beyond that, details were scarce. While McGregor said that he had agreed with the promotion on the date, he was unable to reveal his opponent.
"I would like to announce the return of 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor will take place on Jan. 18 in the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada," McGregor said last Thursday.
"So, that is my comeback fight, it's 12 weeks this Saturday. I'm in prime physical condition, I've agreed [to] the date with the company. As far as the opponent, I have the opponent’s name, but for me and the game that I'm in, and from experience, if I was to give you people the name - which I would love to do - I know the UFC would flip it because they are a crafty company. For me, here's this one, ask the UFC who the opponent is because I do not give a f—k who the opponent is. Jan. 18...the return of 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor...12 weeks this Saturday at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.”
During a recent interview with “The Schmo,” UFC president Dana White confirmed that the organization will hold an event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Jan. 18. However, no contracts have been signed for McGregor to fight as of yet — although that is the plan.
“Yes, we will have a fight card in [Las Vegas], but we’ve got to get it done,” White said. “The fight is not done yet, you know?
“[McGregor] had a press conference and announced he was coming back, but no deals were done. No fights are done. No contracts have been signed. But yes, that’s what we’re looking to do.”
McGregor has not competed since losing to Khabib Nurmagomedov in a lightweight championship bout at UFC 229 in October 2018. Since then, the Dublin native has made headlines for a litany issues outside of the Octagon, the most recent of which is a second sexual assault investigation in his home country.