Unbeaten Spang Inks 4-Fight MFC Deal, Expects April Debut

By Chris Nelson Feb 16, 2011
Unbeaten middleweight Andreas Spang has joined the rapidly-expanding roster of top Canadian promotion Maximum Fighting Championship.

The Swedish-born 32-year-old signed a four-fight deal with the company this week and is expected to make his promotional debut in early April at the as-yet-unannounced MFC 29.

A former professional boxer and kickboxer who has competed under the K-1 banner, Spang made the transition to MMA in 2008. Since then, the “Sweet Sweed” has compiled a spotless record of 5-0, including three first-round finishes. Last June, Spang earned the biggest victory of his nascent career with a crushing knockout of touted Brazilian jiu-jitsu player Chaun Sims at Ring of Fire 38.

Spang currently resides in Las Vegas and splits his training time between One Kick’s Gym, J-Sect MMA and Sergio Penha Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Previously pestered by lingering injuries and tentative bouts which failed to materialize, the rejuvenated Spang now looks forward to building on his perfect ledger and making a name for himself in his new home.

“I have a great training camp,” Spang told Sherdog.com on Wednesday. “I’ve stayed in the gym the whole time, but now I’m pushing myself hard. I had some disappointing months with fights that didn’t happen, so it’s nice to have something to focus on.”

While not officially announced by the promotion, MFC 29 is expected to take place in the company’s home base of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. MFC President Mark Pavelich in January told the Canadian Press that British middleweight Tom “Kong” Watson will likely compete on the card.
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>