Dana White: Jon Jones-Glover Teixeira Light Heavyweight Title Fight Pulled from UFC 170

By Mike Whitman Nov 14, 2013
Glover Teixeira will have to wait at least until March to get a shot at Jon Jones. | Gleidson Venga/Sherdog.com



Just one day after UFC officials announced that Jon Jones would meet Glover Teixeira in the main event of UFC 170, the fight has been scratched from the Feb. 22 card.

UFC President Dana White announced the news during a UFC 167 media scrum on Thursday evening, revealing that Jones had pulled out of the booking. Though White said he “just found out” about the withdrawal, the UFC boss did divulge that Jones was not injured and said the fight could take place in March.

This marks the second time the fight has been rescheduled, as the bout was originally announced for UFC 169 on Super Bowl Saturday. However, that announcement was rescinded soon thereafter, and the contest was rescheduled for Feb. 22. Despite Jones-Teixeira falling off the card, White said that UFC 170 will still move forward as planned from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Jones, 26, captured the UFC light heavyweight crown from Mauricio Rua in 2011 and has defended the strap a record six times. “Bones” kicked off this year with a dominant victory over “TUF 17” rival Chael Sonnen before edging Alexander Gustafsson in a “Fight of the Year” nominee this past September at UFC 165.

Eight years older than the champion, Teixeira has not lost since March 2005 and is the owner of a 20-fight win streak. The expat Brazilian has gone 5-0 in the UFC, dispatching Kyle Kingsbury and Fabio Maldonado last year before besting Quinton Jackson, James Te Huna and Ryan Bader in 2013.

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Around The Web