Hansen-Cavalcante Cancelled

By Tony Loiseleur Dec 31, 2008
An anticipated non-title rematch between Joachim Hansen and Gesias Cavalcante has been scratched from Wednesday’s co-promoted K-1 and Dream extravaganza “Premium Dynamite 2008” at the Super Saitama Arena in Saitama, Japan.

Moments before the event was to begin, Fighting & Entertainment Group officials entered the ring and announced that the featured lightweight bout had been cancelled.

Hansen, 29, apparently did not pass pre-fight medicals, and FEG officials said the Norwegian had been hospitalized for a "head injury."

The Dream lightweight champion was present at the official press conference on Tuesday to promote the bout with Cavalcante. Hansen bested the aggressive 21-year-old Cavalcante via spilt decision in 2004.

Cavalcante (14-2-1, 1 NC) also addressed the audience to apologize for the cancellation. The Brazilian told the crowd that he sympathized with Hansen (19-7-1), as he’d undergone is own share of injuries and bout cancellations last year when he tore the ACL in his knee.

Daniel Herbertson contributed to this report.
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>
Around The Web